I believe that everybody deserves to be happy, so for my first ever blog post I decided to share some tips of how to bring a little extra happiness into your life which you can turn to for inspiration when you feel low. If this post makes at least one person smile then I have done my job!
1. Make happiness a priority; being happy should be at the top of your list for things to be. Regardless to how you are feeling, forcing a smile can instantly make you feel better. This is because the simple action of thinking about smiling and using the muscles is enough to trigger happy chemicals in the brain, hence giving your brain the illusion that you are happy. Smiles are also believed to be infectious as when one person smiles, so does another. As a challenge, why not make someones day by giving them a smile? Whether you're at the supermarket doing the weekly food shop or out on a family walk, give people a smile and they are sure to smile back- spread the happiness!!
2. It is important to make plans to be happy. What I mean by this is that you should plan things to do - no matter how big or small - so that you always have something positive to focus on and enjoy looking forward to. The plans don't need be big, it could simply be putting an hour aside each day for yourself, without distractions from others. This could include listening to your favourite music, going shopping with friends or going on an adventure in the countryside.
3. As well as doing things which make you feel happy, why not spread that happiness to other people? It's always nice to do things for other people, whether that be a stranger or friend in need. I believe that you should treat people the way in which you would like to be treated and it is more likely that someone will do something nice for you if you have done something nice for them. Giving someone a little help, gift or smile can make their day as well as make you feel happy about yourself.I love to make cupcakes whilst at uni and often share them with my course mates to make writing essays a bit more enjoyable and to make my friends smile! Perhaps you could make someone smile, make their day a little bit brighter? Whether it's offering to wash the dishes for your mum, baking for your friends or sending a message to someone you love, these are all guaranteed to make you and them feel happy.
4. Another thing worth considering, is not taking life too seriously! Obviously there are times when you need to be serious, but life is too short to worry about small things. You only have one shot at life, so you need to live it to the full. Say yes to more things and new experiences when they arise and don't be afraid, don't let anything or anyone hold you back. What is the worst thing that could happen? Just say yes to as many opportunities as you can and create amazing memories that you can look back on and say yes I did live my life to the full!
5. With regards to health, a key factor in determining your mood is how much sleep you have. It is important to get enough sleep (approximately 7/8 hours) to ensure you feel refreshed and ready to face new challenges with a positive and happy attitude the following day. Furthermore, exercise is a good way of staying happy as you feel good for keeping fit and healthy as well as being able to relieve any stresses that you may have. Perhaps you could join a local zumba class, go for a run in the morning, or you could simply just dance around your room listening to your favourite music. This is a great way to reduce stress and forget any worries you have. In terms of diet, the food you eat can also determine your mood. So called 'happy' foods include chocolate, strawberries, pasta, bananas, nuts and sesame seeds. I'm not so sure if these actually do make you feel happier but I guess it's worth a try!
6. A nice way of making you feel happy is treating yourself every once in while. This doesn't mean splurging out on designer handbags and shoes everyday(as nice as that sounds) but could simply involve treating yourself to a girly night with friends with face masks and nail painting whilst watching a rom-com and eating popcorn or buying a cute little dress that you have had your eye on for some time. You don't have to have a lot of money to treat yourself as all the best things in life are free. Perhaps you could go for a walk in the park, have a catch-up with friends or read a book- whatever you enjoy doing. Treating yourself now and then will surely make you feel much happier.
7. Everyone has dreams and goals, but many individuals are held back, give up or told that what they want to achieve cannot be possible. Don't let anybody get in the way of you achieving your dreams, it's your life and you should try your very hardest to achieve your dream! As long as your goals are realistic, you have a positive attitude and are determined and believe in yourself then there is no reason why your dreams cannot come true!
8. It is very important to appreciate everything you have got. People become easily upset as they often compare the things they have with other people; who cares if xyz goes on five holidays a year or has a better car than you- stop the comparisons. Appreciate everything you have as there will always be people worse off than you who would love to be in your shoes. So be grateful that you have family, friends and a place to live.
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post and remember that the world always looks brighter from behind a smile... so use that smile of yours to brighten someones day! :)