This month's motivational post is about being you and not letting other people get in the way of what you want to do and who you want to be. Many people find it hard to express who they truly are; they are either too shy, feel lost, scared of how other people will judge them or have been hurt in the past. I think the quote below fits perfectly to this post as I feel that everyone should freely be who they want to be without the fear of being judged or caring about what other people think. I have written a few tips which I hope will help some of you who want to find or be a better version of yourself!
Tips on being you:
1. Find out who you are- Take some time to think about what makes you who you are. Think about your life, the choices you make, your personality (perhaps take a personality test-you can find many online!), the people you are surrounded by and the places you like to be. It's also a good idea to ask friends and family what your good points are to make you realise how great you actually are. Also, how about making a list of how you want your future self to be in terms of characteristics, goals and aspirations? This gives you something positive to focus and work on which is bound to make you feel much better about yourself!
2. Avoid fixating on the past and allow yourself grow- Whether you have made mistakes in the past, have been told that you're not good enough, that your dreams are impossible or that your past involves memories which you wish to fade then you must try and forget. Your past has made you who you are today. You have learned from mistakes and managed to get through tough times which has made you a better person. Take your past as a positive and allow yourself to grow and develop into a much better person because of it, the past is over and there is no way back so look to the future as that's the only place to go and it's up to you how it turns out!
3. Stop caring about what others think of you- To be yourself, you need to stop people pleasing and trying to fit into a crowd you don't want to be in. You need to let go of caring about what others think of you and be happy with who you are. If anyone says anything horrible to you don't take it to heart- just disagree with them and say that you're happy the way you are- they are often jealous and insecure of themselves!
4. Don't compare yourself to others- It is quite hard to do this as everybody experiences jealousy, whether that's because somebody goes on 10 holidays a year yet you go on none or somebody is really confident and clever and you would love to be them. Once you stop comparing yourself to others, you will instantly feel much better about yourself and begin to appreciate every single thing that you have more.
5. Express your differences- Being different is great! It's always lovely to see people expressing who they are, whether that be by their dress sense, mannerisms or their crazy obsession with a particular era. These quirky things are what makes you different and interesting and it would be so boring if everyone was the same!
6. Focus on your potential instead of your weaknesses- What are you good at? Giving people advice? Doing makeovers? Playing tennis? Think about all the things you are good at. Perhaps make a list of 10 things you're good at to start off with and slowly keep adding more each day, these will soon mount up and you'll realise that you have many talents and are good at lots of things!
I hope you enjoyed reading this post and maybe found it useful in some way. I was thinking that my next monthly motivation post will be on confidence with little tips and confidence boosters- let me know what you think of this idea!
Remember to be yourself; everyone else is already taken! ~ Oscar Wilde
Check out last month's monthly motivation on being happy here.