Monthly Motivation #3 | Getting more involved and taking opportunities

As many of you are heading back to university, college and school within the next few weeks, I thought it would be good idea to talk about the different opportunities that are available  and how it's great to get more involved in things. During my first year of university I didn't do as much as I would have liked to, so I have decided to change that this year! I hope to make a lot more new friends, join a few societies, get a Saturday job and do some volunteering as well as going on many memorable nights out and studying harder. I have written a few tips/ideas below which I hope may inspire some of you to say yes to taking up more opportunities! The more opportunities you take and step out of comfort zone,the more likely you are to feel a lot happier and confident about yourself. Taking opportunities not only broadens your skills and experiences (which will look great on your CV) but also allows you to meet lots of new people and form many great friendships. I think this quote below is very fitting as university/college/school only happen once, so to make the most out of it you should take as many opportunities as you can!


Societies and clubs - Many universities offer taster sessions of various societies during freshers week which you can try out to see whether you want to become a member. I recommend trying out as many things as possible during this week;  if you've always wanted to learn how to row then do it! If you've always wanted to learn another language then do that too! Pick things that you're interested in or have always wanted to try. My university has societies in a whole range of things from bellydancing to psychology and rowing - there's even a tea drinking society! Universities offer so many opportunities and these opportunities are unlikely to come round again so you may as well do everything you want to do!

Volunteering - Volunteering is a great way of contributing to the community and helping others. It's great to get involved in community projects (for example volunteering in the local children's hospital or helping out with homeless charities) as it allows you to experience different work settings which can then help you decide with which career path you'd like to take if you are still unsure at the moment. Volunteering is a great opportunity to learn new skills, make new friends and help people out who appreciate what you're doing. It's worth walking down to your union and seeing what volunteering opportunities are available, there are also many websites that lists all of the places looking for volunteers in your area.


Part time jobs - Getting a part time job or a little Saturday job is a great thing to consider whilst at university. University is expensive and there are soo many things you have to buy; books, travel, makeup, saving up for a eurotrip, food, nights out and much more so it's worth having a little job to earn a bit of extra money. Look out for campus jobs too and helping out on open evenings, universities are often looking for students to give jobs too and they actually pay you decently too! A new job opens up many opportunities;  you can make many new friends, you meet new people everyday and you are also likely to greatly improve your confidence. Ensure you have a well written CV and get handing it out to every shop/cafe/restaurant as soon as you arrive as many other students will be doing the same!



Going out - It's important to enjoy yourself and treat yourself every once in a while. Whether that be staying in with your flatmates watching romcoms and eating popcorn or going on a crazy night out fueled with cocktails, it's important to let your hair down! When you start university it can be quite nerve wracking as you don't know anyone, but you're all in the same boat so when people ask if you want to go out, say yes! The more you go out at the beginning (this doesn't necessarily mean nights out), the more likely you are to come out of your shell and widen your friendship circles! 



I hope some of you are inspired to take up something new and I wish everyone starting university lots of luck! Are you starting university/ go to university? Do you plan to get more involved this year?






19 comments

  1. This is a really great post. It makes your feel motivated. :)
    Thanks.
    Ru|Glitter & Blush

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good at motivating people (especially me). You already motivated me in one of your previous posts. So I really would like to do some volunteering this year, and I'm also searching for a Saturday job. And your 'going out' tips are very encouraging. I sometimes need someone to tell me that it's okay to take some time off and enjoy myself! I always feel so much better when I did!

    Sofie x
    http://littlegreensofie.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you :) I'd love to hear about any the volunteering you do if you decide to do it! I'm happy you found this post encouraging :)! xx

      Delete
  3. Your right! :) Love this quote too.

    Sarah x
    http://herstyletto.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! You literally took all the words out of my mouth I started back at uni last week and I can already feel in my bones that 2nd year is going to be better than 1st year! Saying yes to every opportunity you are given defiantly makes a huge difference! Much love from Scotland Lauren!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that 2nd year is great for you! I have a feeling it will :) xx

      Delete
  5. I just started my first semester a couple days ago so thanks for a motivating post!

    http://lulainslacks.blogspot.dk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome, I'm glad you liked it :) Hope uni is going well for you! xx

      Delete
  6. Great post - everyone needs a little motivation sometimes! Totally agree with the picture; you should take every opportunity you get given!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fab- as I enter my final year in a fortnights time, I agree it's so important to jump into uni life head first! I mentioned this in my latest blog post at withlovezoe.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck for your final year of uni :)! xx

      Delete
  8. This post is a great idea!
    http://bethanyxalice.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig