How to make a gingerbread house

One of my favourite smells at Christmas is the smell of gingerbread. I remember when I was little, my granny made a gingerbread house and I was completely mesmorised at how pretty and magical it looked. Ever since then I've wanted to make my own, but never seemed to find the time around Christmas until now. Jonny and I spent an entire afternoon making this and I'm so pleased with how good it looks!! In fact, it took us a couple of days to start eating it because it looked too pretty to destroy (plus it took a lot of time and effort so it needed to be appreciated and looked at for a while!). My favourite part is most definitely the glitter and the more the merrier; there's no such thing as too much glitter!! Put on your favourite Christmas songs, put on the twinkly Christmas tree lights and fill your house with a festive baking fragrance by following the recipe below to make your own gingerbread house!

                                        Method:
                                 1. Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees.
Ingredients:                                   2. Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat then add the sugar 
180g butter                                                        and syrup. Remove from the heat and stir.
125g brown sugar                          3. Add the dry ingredients and mix until blended into a thick dough.
300g golden syrup                      4. Tip the dough out onto a floured board, knead with flour, then tear off 
500g plain flour                                                pieces of dough and press into the mould.
1/4 tsp of salt                           5. Place onto a baking tray and bake for 25-35 minutes or until firm to touch.
1 tsp ground ginger                         6. Allow to cool before removing the gingerbread house from the mould.
1/2 tsp bicarb soda                                     7. Assemble the gingerbread house with white icing.
Sprinkles of choice                    8. Now it's time for the funnest part! Decorate your house with lots of icing, 
Icing                                                           mini marshmallows, smarties, sprinkles and glitter.           
                 











Will you have a go at making your own gingerbread house? 
What do you like to bake at Christmas?

15 comments

  1. That looks so wonderful and tasty! Can you make me one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! Mine always fall apart and turn to trash.. Happy Holidays :)
    emilylavenders.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) ah no, I bet it still tasted amazing though!

      Delete
  3. wow!! I've never made anything even close to this! I think my favorite part is the glitter too!! It's so lovely!

    Shannon Sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The glitter definitely makes it more festive and girly :)

      Delete
  4. oh wow I haven't made one of these since I was a kid, but yours looks amazing and super delicious!

    Anoushka Probyn - A London Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was really yummy and easy to make, you should try making one!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I have been wanting to make one from scratch! :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea, I've never actually made one but now I might try it out! x
    www.acalculatedmess.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah this is so cute! I love it - hope you had a great Christmas hun! :)

    Layla xx

    http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/sprinklesofstyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing - you're so talented!

    http://www.yukovablog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my this is so cute!

    x www.elizabethangelia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig