Our Christmas Traditions

Christmas is my favourite time of the year. Alongside watching lots of Christmas films throughout December, listening to Christmas songs and spending time with family, there are a few other Christmas traditions that Jonny and I have made. My favourite tradition is definitely our Christmas before Christmas in which we celebrate together a week early and eat lots of festive food, play games and open all of our gifts from each other. We would love to make mulled wine making a tradition; we made some delicious spicy, warming and fruity mulled wine last weekend and it was amazing! 

Making gingerbread houses. I am literally obsessed with anything gingerbread; my tree is full of cute gingerbread men decorations, I have a gingerbread perfume and I LOVE baking, making and decorating gingerbread houses and gingerbread men! Nothing beats the smell of fresh, oven baked spicy gingerbread at Christmas time. Every year, Jonny and I make a gingerbread house a week or two before Christmas day. I shared the recipe (here) on my blog last year and it's the most delicious gingerbread so you have to try making one for yourself! Last year's creation was amazing so I'm not sure how we are going to beat it this time! Making a gingerbread house takes literally a day to make, so we love to stick on some Christmas films or Christmassy music to make a festive fun day out of it. What I love most about making the gingerbread houses (apart from eating) is the decorating as you can go as crazy and creative as you like. Lots of smarties, marshmallows and chocolate is needed. And a sprinkling of glitter of course!



New Christmas pyjamas every year. Once you have your Christmas pyjamas it begins to feel a lot like Christmas. Getting all snugly and cosy with your festive pj's on watching your favourite Christmas films and drinking hot chocolate is the best (our favourite is the salted caramel one from Hotel Chocolat - it's so good). As we get new ones every year, we tend to get them from Primark. Primark always have such a great wide selection of pyjamas at this time of year. Whether you want to be over the top festive or more subtle and wintry they have pyjamas for everyone. I've seen some Olaf ones which are incredibly cute! This year though we went for something more classic. We both chose to have matching tartan pyjamas and they are so cosy; I'd wear them all day if I could. They feel so Christmassy!

A new decoration for the tree. This is a tradition I would love to keep going. How amazing would the tree look in 5, 10, and even 20 years time? So many memories all in one place. We usually like to go to the garden centre and make a day out of it. Browsing all of the colourful and twinkly festive decor and choosing the perfect decoration for the tree is so exciting, followed by a warming meal in the cafe and looking at the reindeer. This year, I picked out a sweet little gingerbread house which perfectly matches Mr. and Mrs. gingerbread man. Jonny wanted a snow globe last year but we didn't get the chance to pick one up, so this year he chose a festive jolly Santa musical snow globe which plays Santa Claus is coming to town. I love decorating our flat for Christmas, it's like a cute little grotto!





Christmas markets. Every year, Jonny and I love to go to the Christmas markets/ the Christmas light switch on in town. Usually, the lights get switched on in the last week of November, so it marks the start of our Christmas celebrations. I love the atmosphere; seeing all the bright and twinkly lights lighting up the Christmas tree, listening to the sound of laughter and Christmas songs playing in the background, seeing sights of happy people and Christmas markets filled with all sorts of gifts and smelling all of the incredible food on offer. The thing we enjoy most about the Christmas markets is the food! This year, there were more food stalls than previous years so we sampled and shared food from a few different markets. Obviously, we had the German bratwurst (a classic), a turkey and stuffing sandwich with a side of roast potatoes and a gigantic chocolate Oreo muffin. Afterwards, we usually go and find somewhere festive for a spicy and warming mulled wine, or go to either Costa or Starbucks to sample the Christmas drinks menu.

A Christmas before Christmas. As Jonny and I go home for Christmas, we like to celebrate our own little Christmas day the week before. We start off our day by opening our stockings and then have a ginormous Christmas dinner followed by plenty of party food and alcohol and lots of Christmas music, films and games. Having two Christmases is great! I'm so excited for next weekend now as that's when we'll be having our Christmas day; I have all my stocking fillers bought for Jonny and I can't wait to see him open them! All that's left to do now is the big Christmas food shop!

Follow me on BLOGLOVIN'/TWITTER/INSTAGRAM 

1 comment

  1. I think it's brilliant that you have TWO Christmases!

    Primark is also my choice for pyjamas, but Matalan seem to impress with their selection at this time of year too.

    Tasmin ox
    www.tasminstalk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig